1) Ditch the Teflon pans. Many of us are used to cooking on Teflon. Its nonstick surface is so appealing. What is not appealing is the dangerous substance that it is made from. Have you heard of the “Teflon Flu”? Apparently it is the fumes that are emitted and inhaled that are the most dangerous (especially for animals). We are slowly replacing our Teflon pans with other alternatives. I recommend stainless steel or cast iron. I have just been buying one piece at a time as I find them cheaply at places like Costco, Kohls (with a coupon), and TJ Maxx.
Here is a link to more info on Teflon
2) Change up your breakfast routine a bit. Instead of serving breakfast cereals, strive to feed your family things like organic oatmeal from scratch (easy), home made whole wheat muffins with fruit in them, yogurt or kefir, eggs, and one or two bigger breakfasts if you like. It won’t take much more effort at all. Breakfast is the easiest meal to change up if you are striving to feed your family more healthy whole ingredients. It is the perfect place to start!
3) Skip the High Fructose Corn Syrup. Whats the big deal with HFCS? I kinda wondered this for awhile too. I figured it was worth avoiding feeding it to the kids. Over time I have learned more about why I did not like it all along 🙂
Here are the reasons why I try to avoid it.
- It has been linked to many negative health impacts (much like sugar).
- HFCS can very likely contain mercury. One study states that mercury was found in about half of its tested samples. That is crazy.
- It is often a sign that a product is made up of cheap ingredients. HFCS is a very inexpensive sweetener. When companies choose it to sweeten their foods they are often choosing other cheep or poor ingredients…which could often point to use of GMO ingredients, MSG (or hidden MSG), trans fats, etc. By avoiding HFCS you are likely avoiding other bad things.
- The process to make HFCS is scary. It sounds like it includes chemicals, chemists tweaking stuff, things that aren’t safe to touch, huge labs, protective gear etc (watch King Corn). Its no small thing.
Disclaimer-I am no genius. I am just a mom trying to do the best for my family. Be sure to research things for your own family before making any big changes.